Safeguarding theme of the month:
Environmental awareness means exactly what you may think: an awareness around the natural environment and the choices that either promote its well-being or cause it more harm. It is also the awareness that the earth is in need of protection for its survival.
What are the current environmental issues in the UK?
5 Major Environmental Issues:
- Air Pollution. We’re already noticing several lung diseases due to the polluted air that we breathe.
- Water Pollution
- Ozone Layer Depletion
- Loss of Biodiversity
Environmental Awareness - Points to consider!
1. It’s Warming
2. It’s Us
Human beings are causing climate change, largely by burning fossil fuels
3. We’re Sure
5. We Can Fix It.
In October 2021, just ahead of the COP26 UN Climate conference in Glasgow, three-quarters (75%) of adults in Great Britain said they were worried about the impact of climate change, according to the Office for National Statistics’ (ONS’) Opinions and Lifestyle Survey (OPN).
- people’s concern for their family and future generations
- anxiety and helplessness
- the expense of making eco-friendly changes.
- Around 27,000 trees are cut down each day
- Humans use only 1% of all available water
- 78% of marine mammals are at risk of choking on plastic
- On average, one supermarket goes through 60 million paper bags each year.
- A glass bottle can take up to 1 million years to decompose.
- Recycling one glass bottle saves enough energy to power a normal light bulb for about four hours.
Key dates to consider:
World Ocean Day
World Refill Day
Plastic Free July
1st July to 31st July
Plastic Bag Free Day